Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 1.267

    Yeadon

    11 Kasım 2021, İngiltere ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We travelled south a few miles to Yeadon near the Leeds/Liverpool canal where we based ourselves at Warm Lane Farm CL site, high above the Aire valley below. Upon arrival we walked up into the town centre to have a look and to empty the charity shop bookshelves of pulp fiction.
    The following day we took the bikes off the back of the van and cruised down the hill to the valley bottom then cycled along the Leeds/Liverpool canal to Saltaire - a Victorian model village built by Sir Titus Salt to house his mill factories and workforce. The canal was quite beautiful with all the trees in their autumn colours. We arrived at Saltaire in drizzle and locked up the bikes - the Salt Mill was enormous and straddled the canal with a bridge. A was hoping to see some of the history of the place laid out, to describe what must have been an amazing place in its heyday, but there was none of that. The buildings are still in use today, repurposed for galleries, retail and food in part and a lot of offices, the housing associated with the original site still occupied by families and all this preserved under an Unesco World heritage status. Having looked forward to seeing the place for some years we were underwhelmed by the lack of historical context, however the galleries housed a good selection of David Hockney paintings.
    We completed a walk around the parkland and woods to the north of the site and by the Shipley Glen tram way then returned to our site in the drizzle. The long drag up the hill to Yeadon tested the legs.
    On Saturday we walked over the hills to Otley where there was a decent market in the lovely town. We returned to Yeadon by the bus to escape the very sharp climb through woods on slippy paths that we had to scramble down on our way in.
    Okumaya devam et