Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,413

    The Town of 1770

    April 6, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    On our first full day we drove into the local library to view the tourist information, keep up with our diary and to do emails. We then drove up to the point for a quick look at the peninsular head. We had completed the walk up to the lookout on a previous trip but this time, with Karen’s foot in plaster we enjoyed the views from the car.
    In the evening we all trotted down to the local marina to enjoy a fish and chip supper as the sun dropped below the horizon. The marina is a magnet for people visiting the area to watch the sunset over the bay. This is virtually at the point where Captain Cook anchored prior to stepping onto what would become Queensland soil for the first time in 1770.
    The Barramundi and Sweetlips fish were delightful which we all enjoyed as the sky ran through its colours for the evening. The girls enjoyed skimming stones on the beach in the twilight.
    We spent the next morning with the girls fishing off the beach, but with no luck. The guy fishing off the rocks next to us was catching what looked like cat fish, but he seemed pleased with his result and was intent on taking them home to eat. Sophie and Samantha enjoyed the experience in the baking hot sun even though we only caught rocks most of the time. They tell me that one large fish definitely got away. Back at camp Summer used the white stool to raise up her left foot in sympathy with Granny.
    The following day we visited the museum which is adjacent to the library, it tells the story of the early pioneers in the area and clearly the community is very proud that this is the place that Captain Cook chose to pick for his second steps onto the continent. Afterwards we re-visited the monument on the headland which commemorates the exact spot where CC came ashore. We did not take a picture as we had previously done so three years ago. Karen set off for a very short walk along the cliff path, crutches and all.
    In the evening we returned to the beach adjacent the the marina, set up tables and chairs and A and Jamie with Sophie’s assistance drove into the precinct to get some pizzas. We watched another lovely sunset over the bay after which the elder girls tried to restyle Granny's hair.
    Read more