Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,988

    Ulverstone

    November 2, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We resisted the temptation to return to Cradle Mountain, as we had a few domestic things to sort out such as food purchase, washing etc which we needed to do before our departure to St Helens tomorrow.
    We drove to the nearby town of Latrobe, stopping off at a very popular belgian chocolate making factory. We watched some of the pralines being assembled all by hand. It all looked so tasty that we bought a couple of items to sample later.
    We then visited a shop that we were told simply had to be seen. It is called Reliquaire and it sits on Latrobe main street. We have never seen anything like it, it is quite extraordinary, very hard to describe and was well worth a visit. It consisted of a series of rooms, each on a different theme - Alice's adventures in Wonderland, Harry Potter, out in space, dinosaurs - to name just a few. The shop sold the most unusual toys and games alongside up market food items and some household goods. It was absolutely packed with goodies. The Christmas section of the shop had just opened for the season, and was packed with ornaments, lights and Christmas figures. We didn't know where to look first!!
    After Latrobe we visited Coles supermarket for provisions in Devonport, then back to base before the next leg of our journey tomorrow.
    The people on this campsite have been very friendly. Katrina, the manager has gone above and beyond to assist us and tonight presented us with a leaving present - a bottle of Sauvignon made at a vinery very close to our next stop in St Helens. Of course we will have to try it pretty soon and if we like it we'll just have to visit the vineyard there. It's a tough life!!
    Read more