Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2,000

    Port Arthur

    November 14, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 13 °C

    The Cape Hauy walk is noted as one of the great one day walks in the peninsula.
    We drove the short distance to Fortescue Bay, the last part of the journey along a 12km gravel road through the forest - always a treat.
    The day park here is the finishing point for a four day walk - The Tasman Three Capes walk - which has to be completed in an anticlockwise direction.
    We passed a lot of oldies on the last leg of their walk as we passed through eucalypt forest, giving us an occasional view of the sea. Eventually, we climbed up out of the tree line into general scrub with magnificent views of the Cape coastline. We could see the very undulating path stretching out in front of us, dropping into deep valleys and rising over the headland in front of us. Eventually, after 1 hour and 50 minutes, we arrived at a wind swept cape lookout where the brave could look at the totem pole rock feature in the raging sea below. Needless to say Karen would not go anywhere near the edge, despite trying to do so twice. It really was too scary!!!
    After a short stay at the Cape, we returned to the car park, retracing our steps. Karen counted over 2250 stone steps on the return journey.
    This is billed as a strenuous walk, every bit as strenuous as some of the South West Coastal path that we have completed, and we enjoyed it immensely.
    We dropped into Doolishus (in Doo town) for a well-deserved fish and chip late lunch. Very tasty.
    Returning to base we started preparing for our trip to Hobart tomorrow.
    Read more