Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Halong Bay

    March 14 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    - We were picked up early (Chloe not too keen again) and headed to Halong Bay in a small bus chockers with tourists bags (seems they don't plan for that very well). We were spending 1 night on the Bai Tu Long Bay, a subsection of the Halong park where only 10-15 boats go rather then 200+ in Halong Bay.

    - We were given the top room, we had our own floor and balcony which was nice after some of the budget hotels so far. We went for a kayak around the limestone mountains and ended up at a beach and despite the misty weather, most people had a swim, it was cold but super refreshing and the water is quite clean. The rubbish around the place although small really does dampen the place and feels disheartening, a shame to see places ruined by tourists who don't care or fishing pollution.

    - The kayak back was tough and long but a good time and we enjoyed a hot shower on return. This lead beautifully into happy hour beers and cocktails, and even a spring roll making competition which Chloe took out as the winner (another free beer)

    - All the meals on board were included in 5-6 course menus and the food was great. Dinner included things like baked fish, honey chicken, prawns, soups, fresh fruit etc.

    - By this time a few english and Dutch had some liquid courage and they embraced the karaoke, it only takes a few people to break the ice because soon enough me and Chloe were singing Hwy Jude, sweet Caroline and even a Duet of Land Down Under which was good fun. We finished the night and I randomly caught a squid off the side of the boat.

    - Halong bay was a good experience, Swan cruises were a good company and Bai Tu Long was a good choice.
    Read more