Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Off to San Diego

    April 9, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    We are off on our road trip across the US. We are leaving magical Disneyland and heading south to San Diego. We have our car, bought some camping stuff at Target and now need to do get our car roof rack.

    Before our trip we looked at the items we wanted at Walmart.com and we needed to grab a roof bag for the car to hold some of our stuff. We have a bag each, a camping bag, a tent, a stroller and we each have a smaller bag. Add a cooler (esky) and food, a small SUV won't hold it all. Well, none of the 8 Walmart's in the area had the roof bag we wanted. We then went to Pep Boys and we were sold a temporary strap on roof racks along with a roof bag to hold the luggage.

    Josh spent almost an hour in a McDonald's parking lot while Inara slept in the car and Brandon and I had lunch inside. I wonder how many McDonald meals we will have on this trip, as it's easy, cheap and almost everywhere.

    We were driving down the highway I-5 south, only having driven 15 miles, when the bag lifted up, taking the roof racks and luggage with it unto the highway. Luckily we were in the left HOV lane and the van behind us was not riding our butt and was able to swerve. We quickly stopped on the left emergency lane and Josh jumped out to grab our stuff, hoping we didn't lose Inara and Josh's clothes bags.

    It all ended well and the kids were great in the whole ordeal..Brandon even calmed Elisa, saying mommy. "Daddy will be OK, it will be ok", as Josh had to go on the major highway to retrieve the items. A cop even stopped by from the other side of the highway to see if we were OK and if there was an debris left.

    We finally made it to the San Diego Metro KOA, a bit more squished with all the luggage stuffed into the car. A highlight of the day was that the 2 min pop up tent really only took a little over 2 min and Elisa was able to do it on her own. This was a good buy.

    We had a great yummy and cheap Mexican meal that we all enjoyed just a few minutes from the KOA.

    I hope this is the worst situation that happens on our adventure.
    Read more