Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Final destination St George, Utah

    April 18, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Today was a planned all day driving day from Flagstaff to St George, Utah. The drive straight with no stops is just under 5 hours.

    When we planned the trip we knew we where we wanted to go and then kind of picked areas to see between those two points. We knew flagstaff was cold so that is why we were in a hotel and not camping. When grandma left for the airport this morning it was -1 degree C. Cold and brisk.

    The plan we had in mind was to drive around the North Rim of the Grand canyon, little did we know that it was closed until May. Ooops.. There is so much to see in Arizona that we would have no problem with finding things to see on our drive. While we were on the Grand Canyon train we heard about Antelope Canyon which is half way through our drive. Perfect other than you need to see it on a tour and they book up weeks in advanced. Elisa called all the tour companies and only one would take kids and they were all sold out.

    Elisa stopped at the Flagstaff Visitors center yesterday, got a map and some ideas. Our first stop was Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki National Monument. We stayed much longer than anticipated and Brandon got his junior ranger badge at Wupatki Monument. He was so excited.

    We then continued toward Utah, stopping at Horseshoe Bend view which is part of the Glen Canyon area. We did a nice round trip mile walk, getting out in the sun and taking in fresh air. It was very touristy and the government was just starting to make it a proper tourist attraction with rails on the cliffs. It was a bit nerve wrecking at the cliffs. Josh held onto Brandon for dear life and Inara was being carried on Elisa's back. Elisa didn't trust herself and 11 kilos on her back to get close to the edge at all.

    Horseshoe Bend was only a few miles away from Lake Powell so we drove across the bridge where the colorado river was dammed up. We didn't have the time to see anymore of Lake Powell as we didn't realise that Utah was on a different time zone than Arizona. It's already 5pm (6pm Utah time) and we had another 2.5 hours to drive, check in at St George KOA and set up the tent.

    We just made check in at the campsite by 10 min, at 850pm. We saw a beautiful sunset setting behind large cliffs near the Arizona/Utah boarder (the 2nd time to cross the state's border on this drive).

    Arizona is a gorgeous country with dramatic views and different landscapes but we both thought Arizona was too dry and we couldn't live here. Utah is exactly what Elisa pictured it would be and the plains, overbearing colorful cliffs and rugged landscape is breathtaking.
    Read more