Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Canyonlands National Park

    April 30, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Zion and Bryce were amazing but Canyonlands National Park was immense. It made you feel how small you are against these massive boulders, mountains and canyons.

    We left Moab KOA by 10am, even though Inara was up at 630am ready to chase wild jack rabbits. Elisa was able to pack up most of the inside of the tent while Brandon slept through it. This is starting to be a theme now.

    We headed South to the Needles area of Canyonlands National Park. Canyonlands is divided into 4 parts. Island in the Sky is the most traveled being closest to Moab, Needles is less traveled and more wild, while Maze District is the wildest area and one of the most remote areas in the nation. The 4th area is the Colorado and the Green river which divide the 3 land areas.

    Most of the day was driving throughout the park and getting on and off. The boulders or mountains before we actually got into the designates park area was impressive and we were on awe. We did a few small walks/trails which were great for the kids. The cave spring walk was awesome as it had 2 ladders we needed to climb and even showed wall art.

    Brandon got his 4th junior ranger badge, of course. The kids were good all day and in the car as well as we had another 2 hour drive or so to Mesa Verde National 2.

    After Canyonlands we made our way to our home for the next 3 nights, Mesa Verde National Park. We are camping in the park where we can see wild animals and be as much in the wild as you want with 2 kids.

    We made it for check in and dinner made at the campsite. The camp ground just opened up a few weeks ago as the weather is cold. It is also bear and mountain lion country. The pamphlets advise to keep all food, drinks (including water) , soaps and lotions in the car so the animals aren't drawn to the tent site. We also need to collect any food off the ground from eating , which happens a lot with a 2 year old, and wash our dishes in dump areas and the dirty flushed in the toilet. The toilet blocks are flushing toilets and t r showers are up the registration area with the small grocery store.

    This may be the coldest tenting of our trip and we dressed the kids in 2 layers of PJs along with sleeping bags. Tonight is the warmest of the 3 nights so we hope we can handle it.
    Read more