Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Hot Springs National Park to Memphis

    May 15, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    We originally booked 2 nights at Hot Springs National Park but figured it would be better to have Mothers Day with family rather than traveling.

    The Hot Springs KOA was lovely. It was unlike most of the other KOA's as it was not next to a highway and we didn't wake up to sounds of trains, trucks or airplanes. So we all had a lovely sleep.

    We were out of the campsite and at the National Park by 10. This National Park is very different to other National Parks that we visited as its not really in a park. It mostly consists of a street with the heritage buildings which were all old bath houses using the Hot Springs from the mountain..

    We checked out the inside of the Fordyce bathhouse, which had a separate women's and men's area. The mens area was so much nicer. Only one of the buildings is used today and I believe they mostly closed in the 80's.

    As it was a National Park, Brandon got another junior ranger badge. This booklet was all about the bats in the park. Behind the houses was the promenade, which was a paved walkway with historical information. We saw a few outlets to the hot springs and got to touch it at the well, which was really hot.

    We had our lunch on the promenade and then we had a few hours drive to Memphis. We stayed at Memphis KOA, about 20 min from the Tennesee/Arkansas boarder and downtown Memphis city. The KOA was basic but they did have a pool and a cafe for breakfast in the morning. As like most KOA's it was next to a highway.

    We got the tent up, a swim in the pool and then we headed into the city. Our original idea was to eat dinner at the Hard Rock cafe, as we knew it was kid friendly and had live music but when we got there it looked pretty dead. We had a walk down Beale street, the main night life street in the city. There were many venues with bands playing and music blaring from inside. They all seemed to have a cover charge and no kids.

    We found live music outside on a side patio of one of the venues. The bouncer invited us in and kids were allowed. We had a great time listening to the band and Brandon even requested to get the CD, which we bought. Elisa ordered this massive PBR which cost less than $6. The kids had chicken fingers and it was the best chicken we have had yet here and it was real southern chicken. Inara fell asleep while listening to the music. We left just before 10 and right before kids had to leave.

    It was an enjoyable night and so far Memphis has lived up to its expectations.
    Read more