Satellite
  • Day 313

    Dinner at Thee AlAin

    March 3, 2020 in Saudi Arabia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Arriving at the car park to the "white Marble Village" at Thee AlAin we are right away welcomed by two gentlemen, offering us the Saudi coffee that I have learned to highly value. It has not a lot in common with the coffee we know but is a quite bitter and very fragrant concoction spiced with cardamom and I am not sure what other spices. You only get poured one mouthful at a time and tastes delicious with dates or other sweets.
    No, this was not a welcoming committee, but two visitors themselves, who just had returned from their sightseeing when we arrived. But them having already seen the “white marble village” does not deter them from walking with us and the dogs again and showing us around. Without them we very likely would not have wandered behind the village once we had seen it all, and therefore would have missed the groves and the little gurgling fountain coming out of the mountain.
    Once we came down the hill our two new friends decided it was time for dinner. Jasmin and I locked the dogs in the car and were then chauffeured in luxury in their fancy car. Not needing to drive, sitting in a comfy leather seat and let the world go past… I haven’t enjoyed that since Arman left.
    Off we drove and drove, Jasmin and myself wondering where we were going, but somehow I had gotten used to these oriental “close by” locations that are really quite far, therefore I was not particularly worried.
    Eventually we arrived at a huge car park, cars parked in quite a distance form each other and in between were huge groups of robed men lounging on carpets smoking shisha or eating. I glanced about and found, we were the only women far and beyond.
    In no time a servant arrived with a wheelbarrow loaded with carpets and lounging cushions. He quickly spread the carpets on the ground beside the car, threw down the cushions and ready was our table. We needn’t wait long and the dinner was served. A huge plate filled with meat, goat this time, and rice. The water bowl to wash our hands made its rounds and we could start to eat. It was delicious!
    Poor Jasmin, only rice again with some onions, but at least this time the rice was not contaminated with meat juices.
    Thanks Gents, this was quite a Saudi experience in very pleasant company.
    Read more