Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5: Kauai - Koloa

    June 1, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    After 2 beautiful sunny days, our luck has run out. Rain has arrived in Kauai. Although the mist on the water has its own charm.

    We were traveling to the south side of the island today. It took more than 2 hours to drive from Princeville to Waimea Canyon State park. Along the way, we passed Tree Tunnel, a lone stretch of road covered by towering trees.

    When Steve and I were here 22 years ago on our honeymoon, we really enjoyed our trip to the Waimea Canyon. I was so happy to be back here with Evan! Unfortunately our planned hike was cut short by a downpour, and the rain had shrouded the canyon in thick fog. We had to leave the canyon earlier than planned.

    Seeking lunch options, we went to a nice little historical town called Hanapepe. The plaques on buildings often told the stories of Chinese immigrants contributions to this area. It was so nice to read them and feeling proud. There were many art studios in this town with some very cool and unique art pieces.

    It’s finally the time to check into our new Airbnb. I thought the last place was close to ocean, this place is even closer! LOL! This side of the island was experiencing some high waves. Some waves were so high that I thought I could taste the water from the balcony!

    Dinner was at a fancy restaurant called Red Salt. The dishes were really well made and decorated beautifully. It was cool to see the sunset and sea turtles on our walk back to our apartment.
    Read more