Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8: Kanazawa

    June 2, 2023 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    Well, Evan’s plan is great so far, but not perfect. Because just as we are leaving tomorrow, there is the biggest Samurai Festival of Japan happening right outside of our Airbnb, but we will not be here to see it. There will be lion dances, taiko drums, and most interesting of them all, the marching of the actual descendent of Samurai families!! I can’t believe we will miss all of that! 😭

    There was heavy rain all day today, so we were focused on indoor activities.

    Omicho Market is one of the most famous fish markets in Japan, and there is a famous sushi restaurant located within it. We were lucky enough to get seats after waiting for a short time. All I can say is that the sushi here was one of the freshest I’ve ever tasted.

    Kanazawa castle is mostly a wooden structure, there’s no nails in the entire building! Instead, they use intricate locking systems to keep the beams attached. We admired all the architectural details in this amazing building.

    Next, Kanazawa Modern Art Museum. There were a lot of people here, not too surprising since it’s a rainy day. Even though the art pieces were interesting, what impressed me was the fact an entire wing was dedicated to art pieces from Highschool students in the city, and some pieces were very interesting!

    Rain was pouring down hard on us, as we walked slowly towards the Tea House district. The old buildings were well persevered here. You could easily imagine what was like to have Geisha and Samurai walking around in these narrow streets.

    Hot shower felt nice after we got home.
    Read more