Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Ykaterinburg

    June 18, 2017 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Ykaterinburg is an attractive city - Russia's 4th largest, with Boris Yeltsin, the first Russian President, hailing from here. Beautiful day again today, so I took a trip up the Vysotsky Tower - named after one of Russia's most famous singer-songwriters (what do you mean you haven't heard of him!). Great views from the 52nd floor. Visited the famous Church on the Blood, built on the site of the house where the Romanov's were shot (before being taken to the woods outside the city and dumped in a mineshaft which I had seen yesterday). Amazing church, and busy on a Sunday with a children's choir singing outside and free food (literally loaves and fishes by the looks of it) being handed out to soldiers and families who apparently travel great distances to come here.

    As I was running low on socks and pants I found the very place - M&S Ykaterinburg branch - only double the price. The city is proud to have been chosen by FIFA To be a host city for the 2018 World Cup.

    After dinner, a return to the Opera House to see Romeo and Juliet - the ballet. Another stunning production. It was sold out so I had to pay top price of £15 for my seat tonight. Now a wait until the ungodly hour of 3.45 am to catch the next leg of the Trans Siberian - with 2 full days on the train! Wish me luck!
    Read more