Satellite
  • Day 11

    Cameron Highlands to Ipoh

    August 7, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Our route took us along a road that has been constructed through the forest which has 600 bends. A few photo stops to see Orang Asli settlements, HEP station. Our first major stop at a small waterfall called Lata Iskander. Where there are stalls selling fruit and also wood and rattan wares lining the road next to the small cascade. Then driving through Tapah the lowest hill station where the Gukha troops camps are located we stopped off briefly at a bamboo basket weaving factory where they weave baskets for collecting vegetables in the Cameron Highlands - here the working conditions are poor and wages low.
    Next stop Lata Kinjang waterfall 800m located in a former tin mining area - where the left over pools are now used for reading ducks and fish. Predominately chinese. Near Tapah forest reserve.
    A short drive to lunch stop at Capati Corner...for you guessed it "Chapati" with Mutton curry plus a very sweet milky tea for 13 MYR (£2.50). Passing through Kinta Valley the former tin mining region. The next stop before Ipoh were the huge limestone caves of Gua Tempering - hot and humid and quite dry inside we were guided through these with a guide with limited English who pointed out forms made from the limestone like people and animals. The final stop was a view of Kellie's Castle - an unfinished mansion from the 1920's influences by Indian style he built an adjacent Hindu temple for his Tamil workers where they incorporated Kellie Smith as one of the deities in the facade.
    Read more