Satellite
  • Day 3

    Searching for Nora Ephron

    July 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Those of you that know me well, will know that the Hollywood screenwriter and director Nora Ephron is a bit of a heroine of mine. My BA dissertation was entitled 'Hollywood Gave Me Unrealistic Expectations about Love' and this analysed films such as Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail and When Harry Met Sally in great detail. Ultimately I was asking how big a commodity was love to the film industry and how important was it to sell a fairytale happily ever after as a belief system. Anyway, before I rewrite my dissertation, today spontaneously became a rather moving Ephron pilgrimage to which I visited a fair share of Manhattan film locations where the 'magic' occurred. Thank you to the following blog and associated Google map - very little research was required - https://www.goodfoodstories.com/nora-ephron-new…

    I won't bore you with every little detail - those that know the films will recognise the spots from the pictures. I've provided the film stills to accompany them to aid you anyway. Needless to say, I was in my element. The 91st Street Garden really moved me. It was such a beautiful little place and as enchanting as it appeared in the film. If you weren't already disgusted at my level of fandom here - I did also have the respective soundtracks to listen to whilst I walked along the various avenues in search of Tom.

    Aside from my pilgrimage, I did find myself in some other very interesting places today. Tiffany's is always a wonder to behold. Beware anywhere that doesn't have a price tag. I thoroughly enjoyed carefully choosing my engagement ring. Nothing too fancy or large. I'll worry about choosing the right man later! I also happened across the Lego Store which after recently visiting the new London store was quite underwhelming but provided good photo ops for Lego Joey all the same. I also encountered a dinosaur made of over 400 handbags. Mum, I'm finally on to you and now understand why you're still collecting them! Whilst in the area, I took it upon myself to visit the 'Top of the Rock' and I was not in the least bit disappointed.

    In true Ephron style, Kate and I reunited at the Empire State Building and after watching the sunset and seeing the city in all its night-time glory, wearily we travelled home via the subway.
    Read more