Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Happy 4th July!

    July 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today has been far less hectic than originally envisaged. I think the last few days have finally caught up with us so we had a very lazy start. In case our trip so far hadn't already seemed insanely busy my footstep counter readings have gone as follows:

    Thursday 29th June - 16,083
    Friday 30th June - 28,127
    Saturday 1st July - 20,529
    Sunday 2nd July - 12,260
    Monday 3rd July - 22,900

    Bearing in mind I tend to struggle to scrape 6,000 on a daily basis it's no wonder we're both a bit tired! We agreed it was time to slow down a little and not beat ourselves up about trying to see EVERYTHING!

    To that end, we enjoyed spending some time with our wonderful hosts Pedro, Madeleine and Petunia. They have been such welcoming hosts and really made us feel at home. We then headed down to the waterfront to soak up the skyline in the beautiful weather. From there we headed into town and to be honest were a little disappointed to find so little 4th July activity. Kate humoured my hunt for Ally Mcbeal's office and then we headed down to see the Boston Tea Party ships. I rewarded her with our first trip to Dunkin Donuts. I've developed a need for frozen hot chocolate. This is not simply a milkshake. Oh no. You need to try it to know what I'm talking about.

    We'd intended to chill out in Boston Public Park for the rest of the afternoon but the bums had shut it! So much for independence day! We caught glimpses of the infamous swan boats and waddling ducks from a distance through the railings and started to venture towards the Boston Pops for the evenings concert and fireworks. It was never our intention to be super close so we opted to take the subway over the river to Kendal and set up camp along the river bank in front of MIT. We arrived around 20:00 as the skyline was illuminated by the setting sun and the river was filled with flag flying boats. This was what we'd been waiting for. The crowd was a sea of red, white and blue and we suddenly felt very under patriotically dressed!

    We found a spot by the river and waited for it to get dark whilst listening to the concert music through loud speakers. We strongly considered going to purchase deep fried oreos but the queues were so long and the prices so astronomical we settled for grape flavoured ice cones instead.

    The fireworks began at 22:30 and were easily the most spectacular I've seen with the exception of Disney's. Now for the painful queue for the subway and home to pack our cases for our first road trip which begins at 8am tomorrow. Eeeeek!

    Final step count for today - 17,708 (albeit a further 800 were recorded as tomorrow!)
    Read more