Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Travelling West

    July 7, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Today we said goodbye to the Cape and embarked on our big journey across the USA. What better way to start such a big day but with a proper diner breakfast - shockingly our first in the last 8 days! We could not have had a better recommendation. The Route 28 Diner in West Yarmouth was everything you would hope a roadside diner to be - the pictures will say more than I can in words. Although I did fail to photograph the rest room which was wall to wall licence plates. The Lego girls particularly enjoyed the Lego Diner although were disappointed they couldn't join in the fun (it was behind glass and not easy to access).

    Just as soon as I was getting used to driving in the states and Kate's nerves were starting to calm as I was committing to memory 'stay right', it was time to drop Nora back to Boston. At least it's given me a good warm up for the 2 week stint in California next week. Eeeeek! How is this all happening so fast?!

    Our train to Chicago was on time and we were really pleased when we saw how spacious the seats were. We opted to sit opposite each other (across the aisle) so as to ensure a window seat each. This was a good move. Despite writing a 'to do list' for on the train which included activities such as reading, postcard writing, photo editing, script writing, budgeting (eugh) - I managed to complete about half of one item and spent the rest of the time catching up with the world, gazing out the window, napping and generally procrastinating!

    We had a 45 minute stop in Albany so Kate and I opted to get out and stretch our legs. This is expected although it was quite disconcerting when they temporarily restricted boarding as they had to rearrange the carriages and we watched our train pull away without us!

    Around 22:30, I had a hot chocolate date in the cafe car just before bedtime which was very 'Before Sunrise' - only the special few will get that reference. I'm now all tucked up with blanket, pillow, reclined seat, ear plugs and fox eye mask ready to attempt some kip (sorry too dark for pictures!). I've set an alarm for Sunrise to hopefully catch Lake Erie passing by. Sorry fellow passengers but I only intend to do this once and you made me listen to all your inane phone calls all afternoon!

    Speak to you from the next time zone...
    Read more