Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 4. Coimbra (Quimbra)

    August 11, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Much relieved after our visit to the hospital we were ready for being tourists today. As usual washing was the first port of call at the laundrette nearby. Once completed we headed off to find the cafe that has a fado concert tonight. In no hurry we strolled through the old part of the city with it's narrow and interesting streets. In one shop they had a huge tomato of the old variety, they look badly malformed but are red and juicy. You pay a premium in Australia where we have been seduced into only buying perfectly formed fruit and veg. These old tomatoes are delicious.
    Shirl is enjoying being a tourist and all tourists is buying little nicknacks to go with the cork handbag she bought in Alcobaca.
    On the pavements are the Pilgrimage placards indicating the way to Santiago de Compostelle in Spain.
    The Aussie invention of the screwtop virtually destroyed the Portuguese cork industry, being the worlds major supplier. It looks like they have hit on a winner with these handbags. How durable they are time will tell.
    We eventually found the fado cafe and booked for tonight's concert. (A separate post on the concert to follow)
    The Monastery Santa Cruz was close by and we popped in for a visit. Inside was beautiful azulejo tiles depicting religious historical scenes.
    The organ was a masterpiece as was the choir stalls.
    Buildings like this abound in Portugal and are testament that they, alongside England and Spain, they were a major power. Spain and Portigal have fallen by the wayside and, sadly, England is going the same way.
    Today, unlike previous days, was starting to warm up and we sought they shade and returned to the hotel.
    After lunch Shirl took it easy while I paid a visit to the Post Office.

    I
    Read more