Satellite
  • Day 20

     La Serenissima

    May 23, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We had a slow, lazy start this morning before dropping off the hire car and getting through flight check-in and bag drop at Bristol Airport. After rummaging in our backpacks and pockets to collect our remaining UK currency we were very pleased to find there was enough left for food and wine before short flight to Italy. Before long our feet were stepping onto the tarmac at Venice Airport.

    Rather than take the waterbus to the city and tackle luggage on public transport, we had arranged for a private water taxi to pick us up ... essentially a man in a boat, we're used to that from the river crossings on our long walk. The boat was much larger and much more expensive than our little ferries but oh, what a way to get to Venice. Ripping across the lagoon at maximum allowable speed, slashing through the wake of other boats, whizzing past the public ferries ... it was just a little James Bond. All that was missing was two cargo ships, a villain and a gorgeous Bond-girl.

    Our apartment is right on the Grand Canal and we were met at the taxi pontoon by a representative from the holiday rental agency. She explained how everything worked but neither of us were really listening ... we were distracted by what we could see out the window.

    Once she left we headed to the closest mercato to get essential supplies ... crusty bread, proscuitto, cheese, olives, wine, etc. And then we wandered out to explore the deserted city. The tourists had left for the day and we had the city to ourselves.
    Read more