Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 141

    Hong Kong

    May 28, 2018 in Hong Kong ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Our journey began in slight alarm ,when Sam came in from retrieving the paper with snow on him!!! However as daylight came, it settled ,and was a nice sunny day by time we were in Ophir, a breeze and rising temperatures, good journey and ever amazed at the “green” to the tops of the hills, it’s so lush, and the grass is rippling in the wind….!
    Mum having a game of scrabble with Jennifer when we arrived , looking more tiny than ever…! The following day not so good, with many hours spent at the medical centre and in A & E, for she and I, high BP causing issues ,but out of not good situations ,come good things ,like the kindness we experienced along the way, everyone was so good, at A & E they took her in ,out of the cold waiting room ,and popped her in heated blankets ,and gave us picnic lunches, it was later in the afternoon by then , Thelma came with supplies.. we couldn’t even eat .. Lots of time to spend with Mum, we had great chats..and some laughter along the way… Sunday we had a lunch at Thelma’s, with much that was delicious… and that Mum enjoyed. She is warm and kindly treated, and exactly where she wants to be.. Christian has made a great recovery from his operation, and he hardly gives it a thought these days he said...The little dogs a joy, in our bed the first morning...! A cosy warm home.

    Now a wee update from a VERY HOT Hong Kong,35o , we have heat warnings, and it is fryingly hot… Humidity is much lower, just 50%,so its burning, it’s their spring ,and like the world ..its far too warm.! Of course cities of this size make it seem worse…!
    Our journey was very nice food and gentle souls ,quite comfortable..glided in to a calm, fairyland, the harbour is spectacular.. a little early…LOVED Peter Rabbit, so, so gorgeous ,just felt like watching it again, not for kids …at all… The rest of the in flight entertainment was a bit limited, some good music, but Peter was worth waiting for.! None of the other ones I had been wanting to view.. It’s a long way, but we were off at speed ,on arrival.. and the many ks walked ,would have been good for us, spotted at 100 paces by our collectors, and swept in with a very nice older chap, who told us snippets…Like a new bridge to Macau has been built, thought we may go, but its way out by the Airport, sooo not this time.. We came in a different way, and saw the Fruit Market which operated at night, a huge conglomeration of trucks and boxes, and very busy men distributing it all for deliveries to be fresh for the morning. .We were settled here by 10.30, about 3am our time…
    First room a dud…SMOKING room.. smelt in the whole floor /corridors ,and we had ashtray and lighter !!!.. the nice room was smoky…NO, thank you, not having that, so as I had requested Non smoking, didn’t feel in the least bad …up to the 18th,to a much better one..Our view is of the Harbour, gorgeous, hence the name Harbour Grand, been before, a long time ago, and it is being refurbished..an older place now, but has the spacious rooms and bathrooms.. The food is very expensive now here, as is pretty much everything, we notice..We do have a little Coffee Shop that has better options..
    Had a good 5 hours sleep which is okay, and we are slightly out of the main area, in Whampoa, which is residential, and nice, some 60 story buildings of apartments around now,..7.5 million now occupy this city… just 5 mins in our regularly run shuttle, so we were off to see Dowson, at Times Optical, me for glasses and Sam for lens, Dowson is in Australia, sadly ,but Eddie is our man, so we are all set for a fraction of the price at home, collecting at 3pm tomorrow. Then to Airisim, for Sam’s supplies, a new extended shop here now ,easy walking, well not so much today, but there was shade…and cool watermelon juice along the way…got everything.. AND new swimming shorts ,yet again ,his are residing at home, a garage sale he thinks, as this happens each time…!
    Back mid afternoon after mingling with the masses ,and saying NO to a hundred Tailors…its all just part of the game..just look and smile at it all so ,so, hectic.,an amazing place that we still love.! People are so covered for the UV, lightweight suit things that completely cover them, just provision for the eyes, and babies have various coverings, purpose built.. That is why their skin is beautiful, and many of ours ,of course is not.! There are all the beautiful things ,large and small here of course,so much to see such an experience, still...
    We adjourned to our roof top pool later, its nice, and did find a shady covered chair, but the tiled surrounds actually were seriously burning my feet.!Like at the Dead Sea..!! Great care to be taken in not getting burnt… Refreshing, though quite warm ,water, and the people watching is a delight, this is Cell Phone nightmare stuff, just never out of their
    hands ,even in the water, they have special packets to keep on talking ,and take sooo many “selfies”,it’s so funny..!
    We have chosen our tea , it seems like we are late of course ,some dumpling delights, a little later on..!
    Tomorrow is to be more excessive heat, but we will explore nearby, and be ready for the glasses at 3pm..
    On to Amsterdam at 12.15 am.. Hope you are all in place, this is a trial of things distant ,and maybe a map or two should appear…
    Bye from us, slightly weary now, in Hong Kong..
    Pics are our Pool,and Room view..
    Read more