Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 146

    Amsterdam...continued

    June 2, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Yesterday ended well, as we went “out” for our tea ,to our little shops and square close by ,discovered the best Deli, ever, with selections of simply everything you could imagine ,chose several salads, quiche, goats cheese and spinach and tomato, so creamy and tasty ,soft cheese and beautiful little biscuits and a berry fruit salad..The coleslaw like mix, had figs and apple, the green bean, celery and tomato, had tiny beans and chick peas ,onion and snowpeas.and there were more…,all so crisp and with different dressings ,some so creamy… The berry fruit salad had, Strawberries, Blackberries ,Grapes, Red currants ,Raspberries and Blueberries ,it looked and tasted divine… So we set up our table, bathmat for table cloth , and had a feast with spoons only, but you manage..! We have a nice Bay Window part, with two large comfy chairs in afternoon light ,the mornings in here are very dim, lighting not suited to the more senior eyes...!
    Very tired and needing to sleep far too early, so consequently we are up before 5am…never mind that will settle I was thinking we had done so well, sleeping well when required…
    Not the best idea, as awake before 4am…Off out this morning to Vodofone to rectify the phone problems ,done in an instant, but…even he wasn’t sure ,so now some stuff works anyway ,but I wont need it on board… Quite a hike which brought us many nice things to enjoy, and we walked for 3 hours ,right into the fringes of the inner city .What was good was a most wonderful Market ,went for many blocks ,all closed off specially. Fruits ad Veg ,fish, all things Dutch, like waffles, and then clothing , simply everything, all tidy and orderly as it would be in Holland. There were fabrics… of all kinds, and some quite amazing ones, lovely to think they still sew here. Lots of stunning furnishing fabrics, much to enjoy.
    As we explore we realise we are in a perfect spot here, not at all busy..
    Excellent meal last evening ,here at the Hotel..but it rained and became colder, so we didn’t go out for the evening walk. Prinsendam today, so exciting to be sailing away this evening, 1pm check in ,so plenty of time to get organised ,and check out by 12. The staff of this Hotel are simply the nicest of people.

    Dawn we hope you are not frozen, Middlemarch in the news ,and we saw this morning the Poolburn School pictures and read the article…Brrr ,but the Brass Monkey’s will be happy..or pretend to be.!
    I know notifications are not regular on Find Penguins, sorry but they only notify you once in 3 days, so as not to clutter your in-box…so when you go in you will find more than one post ,often. I so love that you are all there ,its like a warm gathering of friends and Family…Bye from Amsterdam, which we have loved .
    Saw a very thought provoking , sad ,but good movie, The Glass Castle, and there is a book by Jeannette Walls, which may be even better .It is based on her true story.
    Read more