Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 149

    Hamburg,Germany, Day 2

    June 5, 2018, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Hamburg day 2.
    More to remember …Today we set out early to explore on our own, an excellent shuttle provided for us, so we walked in the city for several hours, just taking time to stop and look and see what we missed yesterday. Clean ,modern but touches of the old around too. Sam had some lenses changed and the service was excellent, time taken, extras done, and then NO charge at all, we were amazed , optometry in our land is slightly over the top ,to say the least, so we beamed upon this chap and declared we would think very kindly of him, and we do..! Our second surprise of the day, earlier we had taken cards we received on arrival, worded in a confusing fashion, to the desk, to be told our Travel Agents have paid our onboard gratuities for this trip, overwhelmed really.! A considerable sum…! Some shopping for Sam, beautiful shops, spacious , and sales, helpful assistance ,and would you believe, Dogs come into the shops, so two beautiful Golden Retrievers on level 4 of a gorgeous store.! Coffee, a treat in its self ,my mocha piled with cream, and drizzled with chocolate syrup, 1000 calories in one hit I think, but a treat.!! in a tiny café ,a nice young girl who directed us to look in -depth at the Town Hall, what a breath -taking building, from the 1800’s,one of the most stunning I have seen, immaculately kept ,inside and out, huge and so intricate ,we spent ages ,its huge and dominates the inner city ,in its cobbled square, such a treat.
    Its dull and cloudy today and that apparently is normal for Hamburg ,but dry is good.
    This is the 3rd busiest Port in Europe ,so it’s a procession of ships coming and going every few minutes, so much to see…. This evening we had a” Beer Feist “ a rousing group of 3, leather pants for the chaps , entertained us with polkas and lots of other jolly music, they were actually good, and we had a huge spread of all traditional food, which was delicious, all gathered on the pool deck. It was cold, so rugs and jackets needed but enjoyable for all.. Tomorrow the Kiel Canal, a wonderful transit that takes from 10am until 8pm,so really through the middle of the countryside ,it will be a great sight.!
    Read more