Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 169

    Tromso,Norway

    June 25, 2018 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Tromso. Norway
    Tromso is an ancient place dating from an Ice age…and still has the old wooden buildings from the 18th century, before it was not permitted to build in wood, as terrible fires resulted. It is now a place of research, large university ,and where Polar expeditions and seal hunting took place from years ago .The Polaria Centre , Sealing museum, and a preserved sealing vessel, are interesting. Sealing only stopped in the 1980’s…It was a way of life in a tough environment, but thank goodness ,good sense ,prevailed, we have never seen one seal in the whole of Norway…some to think of it.! Only on Spitsbergen, a long way away..
    We walked on a cold ,but dry morning, warmly clad, [it has been updated a lot since we were here 4 years ago ,and visited all the attractions, on a lovely day]. There are nice pedestrian walkways, pretty gardens, pavilions and a harbour walk of some distance ,amongst the old buildings. Beautifully preserved old wooden ships. ,Many visitors, with 2 large German ships in Port, and almost nothing at all open on a Sunday, as it is in Norway, a Lutheran community. Beside us in our prime spot looking out on a pretty Park, arrived the Hurtagurten Ferry, these are good sized ships, that just traverse the whole Coast of Norway ,every day winter and summer ,carrying people and goods, staying just short times in Port, hundreds alighted. The harbours in Norway do not freeze because of the Gulf Stream.. It’s a wonderful service used by many..
    A huge bridge crosses the harbour, to an ultra modern church standing in a lovely spot, overlooking everything, but the Bridge is like a mechicano..sp… set ,and I tried once before..!!! Hundreds of German people went in droves, but as it is Sunday, you cannot go in…that is for mainly all churches in Norway.
    A pleasant day in Tromso discovering new things as you do. The highlights came later, we departed before 5pm, to head South through the Inland route, and the most spectacular scenery along the way, the closest we come to the largest mountains. We are near the small deck ,at the stern of the ship, nobody goes, its sheltered and I was able to enjoy at close range and take some pictures for you to share…later at dinner, we sailed right beside small villages ,through some narrow channels ,and had continued great sights until late in the evening.

    ,
    The highlights came later, we departed before 5pm, to head South through the Inland route, and the most spectacular scenery along the way, the closest we come to the largest mountains. We are near the small deck ,at the stern of the ship, nobody goes, its sheltered and I was able to enjoy at close range, and take some pictures for you to share…later at dinner, we sailed right beside small villages ,through some narrow channels ,and had continued great sights until late in the evening.
    However there is a little trouble ahead, another storm is approaching, so our call to Bodo, which the Captain said he may not have been able to get out of ,is cancelled, and we are going to a Fjord instead ,the following day, its been a challenge weather wise for the Bridge, but being from here, he just adjusts accordingly.. A good man ,Bye from us heading south.
    Read more