Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 168

    Hammerfest, Norway,via North Cape

    24 Haziran 2018, Norveç ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Hammerfest via North Cape..

    Early this morning ,much to the delight of many ,we were able to view North Cape, cloud lifted ,and the ship did a complete turn for all to view, still some cloud on the top …but they saw what many had come to see. As our lovely Norwegian guide said it is about making memories, even without perfect pictures ,it is forever in your mind… He later gave an excellent talk on life in Coastal Norway, you could have heard a pin drop ,telling of how they lived so simply, with boats their transport to absolutely everything, weddings, funerals, shopping ,animal transport, and their livelihoods of course. Many pictures of various boats ,and events through the years. Sam went and spoke to him later, regarding the Whaling fleet that came to Stewart Island, and as a historian he knew many things regarding that, and enjoyed hearing more…Bard gives such a great insight to the real life of Norway ,and we look forward to more. Fine older chap.
    Onward to todays Port of Call, Hammerfest ,a smaller city,the most Northerly, at 70o North ,and 39o South, arriving in the afternoon.It is well into the Arctic circle, and the huge amount of avalanche barriers ,all around the town, show that. They have 3 months of the White Nights as well, but strong winds and cold, over 8 months of the year. Destroyed during the war ,it does not have historic places.
    Its main industry is a recent and huge Gas installation and Port area, that is being, completed. Norway has completed its Oil exploration for now, but LPG is its main project these days. The installation is a little distant to the city, and the largest there is, in these parts.
    Salmon is another large industry, [that is farmed] , and leaving later in the evening, we saw, many huge farms in sheltered places ,on the waterways. Some with 7 and 8 pens .Controversial of course, [they acknowledge], possibly one of the worst practices there is , they are trying to make it environmentally viable, but not sure that you can do that ,and the Canadians agree of course.. The salmon grown here are simply huge…
    So we arrived to some showers, and decided to climb the mountain adjacent to the town, quite steep, but zig zagged, so managed that ,great views along the way, like Kotor in Montenegro, but not quite so high, slippery in places, so care required…At the top, more avalanche protection, small Lakes and a large restaurant…FREEZING cold, like icy wind, from the Arctic, I had 2 hoods and a hat ,and still felt the cold…a look around and down again, and of course the coming down is the hardest bit, silly I suppose ,bits hurt I didn’t know I had..! Anyway achieved… Rain by then, so we walked in the town, and like many places in Norway, lots closed, maybe it’s not their summer season, quite yet… Very sturdy buildings and they have double outside doors ,because of the cold.. Looked for a pair of warmer trousers, as its not warm here ,but no they have flimsy, summer stuff, cannot imagine why, must be a hardy breed to even wear them at all..! It was warmer earlier in the spring, but not just now…8 and 9o…today.. By now pouring and windy, so we headed back to our little haven ,only bought a post card for Mum, and as I have sent quite a few, I hope she has them.?
    Had a great spot to watch the buses ,and people return , cringing from the cold..lots with unsuitable clothes…one from a 7 hour journey to Petroglyphs ,we felt a step too far, especially the driving for 5 of those hours… All glad for the warmth within, we so feel for our crew on the gangway, they perish in some places.. Some of our young dining staff climbed the hill, no hats or coats…they were blue with the cold…!
    Our sail away on an Inland route was spectacular, close to huge cliffs and Islands and little farms at the foot of huge bowl shapes, under the ranges of mountains, still with snow that had come down in the winter ,not just one home and barn, but many. The Salmon Farms, and terrain like no other. Blowing a gale, and squalls at times ,I watched until the visibility was no longer… fascinating places… It continued to blow hard well into the night, but this ship is so stable, you would not even know, unless you look out.
    Tromso tomorrow, and we hope it can be warmer…we are fortunate to have been here in sunshine and seen it at its best…many have not..
    Okumaya devam et