Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 187

    Plymouth,UK

    13. heinäkuuta 2018, Englanti ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Plymouth. U.K.

    Some days everything just all falls into place, and today was just that. Plymouth is of course, the home of the British Navy, on a Sound, it is a very nice harbour , on another beautiful day, we were undecided what to do ,but I saw a Park, Garden, Stately Home ,mentioned and as we came ashore ,inquired was it near enough to walk to…certainly said the friendly lady, just up and around the corner ,then take the ferry across, just 10 minutes… Not quite.. about 2 ks later we found the ferry, and such friendly local people ,whom we chatted to at length during the wait ,and crossing, accompanied by a large class of infants off for a picnic… a various assortment of others, a very tattooed couple with many, many piercings, and their dog, a Staffy, as it would, a gentle soul, as it was very hot ,the wee dog stretched out feet behind her trying to get comfortable, on a small, full ferry, in just a short time, the Owner, whipped out a spray bottle of water and gently sprayed the dogs tummy to make her comfortable, how precious.!
    Mount Edgecumbe Country Park was our destination. This is actually in Cornwall in a few minutes ,we were in a different County, as Pymouth is on an Island. Built in 1620, Tudor style, the former home of the Earls of Mt Edgecumbe .A place in history where the beacon’s were lit ,to raise the alarm that the Spanish Amada coming ,as Darwin was exploring the gardens, while waiting to explore the New World on the Beagle. Napoleon was there in 1815.
    Set high up in the Park ,the house commands a great view over the landscape and the sea . A deer Park is part of the estate ,and the gardens slope up to or down from, the house, beginning with the Orangery ,and its perfect gardens, on up to many other treasures, hidden away, suffering a little from the drought ,but such a find..We walked on up a good distance ,to the house ,contemplated going in but time didn’t allow ,we enjoyed the views, and more of the garden from the top and walked back down through the forest part ,to the Coastal path ,cool and such beautiful trees, little structures in the grounds, then a built up area on the seafront, with the cannons over looking the Harbour. It was peaceful and such a nice place to discover. We had a
    drink and shared a Cornish pastie, not the best one ever ,but one needs to try.
    Decided to take the local bus back to Plymouth ,well that was an adventure in itself…although just across the water, we came a long way around, into tiny Cornish villages ,narrow roads for our new Double Decker Bus ,many highways and byways, along the Cliffs, with the beaches far below, on these tiny roads, much jostling for position to pass. The fields of potatoes, corn ,wheat and onions. Some lovely cows, but not an abundance of food just now. The trees whacking the bus, numerous times ,our driver was an expert..It took 1 ½ hours ,and the final part was on to a roll on ferry, which operated on a chain system and across the Tamar we came ,through the city at length, to reach the centre having had a great look at the Countryside and surrounds for 4 Pounds each. !
    We then ventured into the city, and that was short lived, quite open expanses of pedestrian parts ,an artificial lawn and striped deck chairs ,set out around a huge screen showing the Tennis.. A nice touch, but there it ended, a scruffy place, with a very shady lot about the place, more Tattoos than you have ever seen, it seemed, Sam felt that the larger the body, the more were in evidence ,a hot day so little garments… Not any pretty sights.
    We do lead slightly sheltered lives..
    There are historic parts ,like the Mayflower Steps, but so very hot we didn’t fancy a search, it’s a far bigger place than we imagined , our shuttle bus was handy ,it was mid afternoon,so we came back, along with many others,. We loved what we did, met nice people and walked for many K’s.!
    A short rest and this evening we have dined in style, at our Pinnacle Grill ,we had the best table, it is very up market, and traditional .Our seating was a plush couch and velvet cushions ,the staff wonderful, and our food the best we can recall. Mushroom Cappuccino , with truffle to begin, divine, then huge shrimps in a salad ,main was Lamb Chops for me, melt in mouth ,and Halibut for Sam, asparagus, baby carrots and mushrooms ,and baked potatoes, many trimmings ,fresh berries to follow with a delicate sauce. Tiny chocolates to end, very memorable indeed..
    Lue lisää