Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Vigo ,Spain

    May 6, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Vigo, Spain.

    After missing Casablanca ,as explained ,we arrived this morning, to this pretty ,interesting place ,in Northern Spain.
    Much cooler today ,only 12o to begin with ,rising to 15, I think it is higher, but a cool breeze, as the day passed. We were off early , looking forward to sightseeing on our own. Only us and the dog walkers out to begin with , always nice to see the busy puppies, on their morning journeys…many kinds, a Toby in there ,full of business, all shapes and sizes…they of course understand Spanish…so not responsive…!
    A palm lined , sea front ,walk way, with many statues, always interesting ,a few ultra weird thrown in ,like The Mermaid Man ,situated in the heart of the city at Porta Do So l ,upon 2, 15 mtr granite columns, by a considered exceptional sculptor, Francisco Leiro…hummm… the old ones are very special. Jules Verne features ,in a nice way, his books related to these regions ,and he came back for treasure ,that may be here, due to much pillaging and looting by various thugs like Francis Drake ,Napoleon ,and a few Vikings thrown in, so treasure in the Bay it seems ,gold doubloon’s and pieces of eight.!? A place of many battles and sinking’s…!
    Today beautiful Parks to walk in ,trees in spring glory, chestnuts in flower, roses coming out, with the wisteria ,fountains, that are very old, so pretty ,and some really quaint children’s statues. Impatients surrounding. Many steps , streets going up in stages, like an ancient San Francisco.
    The buildings ,are of lovely granite ,some are related, a little ,to those of La Courna , further North , that we visited and so enjoyed, some time ago, as it rains, they have closed in Balconies ,wrought iron, so old and pretty.
    We covered a lot of ground, finding many delights along the way, ancient olives, mixed with the new and huge, slightly weird statues…beautiful Church ,tiny streets, lined with Basket sellers. This is a special place of basket weavers ,so many different examples, in the narrow old streets. Orange trees growing on the streets ,so nice… Climbed right to the top, then panoramic views. Vigo dates from the 1600’s.
    As we worked down from the top ,we came to many little Plazas,[Squares around the old buildings] All with pretty names and plaques.. A huge and stunning Cathedral ,I quietly popped in for discreet pictures ,many were kneeling ,and had to exit, as the Priest came ,swinging incense ,and there was ringing of bells… It was very special, inside, outside very solid…
    This is a large Fishing Port , so the sardines ,in small cartons ,or like, for sale ,amongst the fruit ,it was actually nice to see, the plentiful fruit shops ,we bought oranges ,the only slight thing to say that is not so plentiful , that is fresh ,large fruit…it is that we are used to having such a lot, instead of our 5 a day, we probably have nearer to 10 ,fruit and veg…! Miles of mussel farms , everywhere in the Bay. Also a Farming area, and Spain’s Gateway to the Atlantic.
    This is not far from the great walk of the Pilgrims, to Santiago De Compostela ,on the Camino De Santiago.
    Spanish people are small, I think we must get Mum’s DNA, as I feel they came to Mull, and the Family were quite dark and small, that there will be some Spanish, in there somewhere…There would have been clothing to fit Mum here, just had a bit much glitz…!
    Long, gently sloping, hillside of a shopping ,a pedestrian Plaza, so like Porto, nearby ,but more spacious ,beautiful things ,many bathing suits of interesting design ,the fashions are a step back to yesteryear, double breasted coats are here, with the pleated skirts we wore then as well…!! Classy fashions ,for men and women ,beautiful shoes ,and bags. There is never enough time , I think I would like to come back to Spain ,maybe a Villa, Thel.?? That can be the next dream…
    We walked a long way ,up and down many hills, before making our way back, we have a 4.30 deadline, as of course we are out -running the storm, that prevented us from stopping in Morocco.
    A lovely day, in a beautiful , charming place .,always with so much more to discover. Public access by ferry to beautiful beaches [The World’s Most Beautiful Beach ,apparently] in the Cies Islands ,fine white sand and turquoise water..we could see from our highest vantage point. Oyster Street ,with the famed oysters, everywhere.
    Bye from us, heading for the UK.
    Read more