Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Home Again

    May 17, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ 🌬 29 °C


    Home Again

    Here we are back to sunshine, initially ..and lovely to be here in Autumn, a little strange to come to the dry landscape, after the green of the UK, which is so brilliant, in a completely different time of year, travel is wonderful.. We zoomed across the world, Cathay first, all very comfortable ,new A150/900,Time passed quickly, and you think you don’t sleep but really you do, a little…
    Hong Kong is super efficient, as is most of Asia , we smile as they are quite strict with instructions, as we gathered for our Hotel transport, dressed in uniform, marshalling the troops, and leading us all a distance to the bus ,outside an immediate shock ,of high humidity. From last year, and this is amazing ,they have and are, building a new motorway and huge bridge system, to bypass some of the route from before, to the city from Lantau ,their building ability, especially bridges ,is unbelievable, these are huge constructions ,and of course in the near region, is the new Bridge all the way out to Macau…!
    Progress is swift, and lack of land is no issue, they simply fill and reclaim a new part, and off they go, the population density is mind boggling, and to supply electricity ,water and services must be immense. It is tidy and it all works, traffic is orderly, they have rules ,and adhere to them .
    Arrival to our familiar Hotel in a pleasant neighbourhood, was slightly chaotic ,many people ,security and congestion, it was the Shareholder’s meeting, so many gathered ,and we were shepherded in efficiently, and mentioned we had a bigger room, and it was available ,[it was just 9.30am ,] up.. feeling rather tired ,we had a suite, two large rooms, and powder room ,stunning view right on the harbour, bemused really, but ours not to reason why ,we gleefully settled. Ventured out trying to be awake as long as possible.!
    Much to see but extremely hot…!
    Nice Chinese dinner and rested well overnight, out again next morning, then later, just enjoyed our surroundings of this harbour ,unlike any other, so busy, and people swimming in it, humm, well it looks very clean.!!?? We love Hong Kong, so many visits ,and happily return for our stopovers…
    5pm departure ,on Air NZ , the Airport is simply HUGE, gets more so each time, another whole wing is being constructed, it’s a hike to the gate ,but all efficient and off very quickly, another new aircraft, a 77/200, gleamingly so…Very comfortable in Prem Economy, wonderful service, great food, heaps of leg room, and once again thinking no sleep, but the time vanished ..so there was some…
    Auckland airport overflowing so we had to Park on the tarmac, and be bussed into the terminal, 2 A380s in place, amongst many others, many indignant at this procedure and really one wonders how much our little Country should take… beware I say…too many people is not what we want.
    Cetrece waiting for us , on a sunny day, and home to our warm house, thank you Jo.!
    If we learnt anything from our wonderful journey, and it has been simply that, it is, we live in a very congested, troubled world ,with millions trying to re locate from damaged ,overcrowded countries , to others, now with facilities stretched to capacity, and crumbling economy’s, we seem to be almost the last bastion of normality, slightly removed from it all. I hope good sense prevails and some tough decision’s are made to keep us clean and green, it will be a fight I think…
    Thank you for coming along on this journey, your input is so appreciated and our link to home, we love to hear from each and everyone of you, and to have you all gathered, is my great pleasure, I write too much, I know, but when it’s my book I love to recall it all.
    Viking is a Cruise Line, over and above all others, and we hope to go again, at some time.
    Now I need to adjust to cooking, washing and making the bed…! Back to reality, and good to be here amongst our Family, Friends and Neighbours, who are the most important of all…!
    Read more