Satellite
  • Day 20

    Daintree River to the Coral Sea

    August 12, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    This morning we took a river cruise on the Daintree River. The feature of this river trip is to see the crocodiles that live along the banks. We did see a couple in the water and some sleepy crocs on the banks among the mangrove trees. The bumps on the crocodiles’ backs help them regulate their temperature, and their excellent circulatory system allows them to cut off blood flow to a limb, for example, if it is hurt and threatening the life of the crocodile. They can also target blood flow to their stomach to help them digest.

    Mangrove trees are interesting, too. They have four kinds of roots, some for support in the soft muddy banks and some for collecting nutrients. We liked the ‘snorkel roots’ that stick straight up out of the water. Living in potentially brackish water, but needing clear water, the mangrove can filter salts from the water, sending them to a ‘sacrificial’ leaf that turns yellow and falls off.

    At 4pm it was time to meet Coral Expeditions in Cairns for our Great Barrier Reef tour. We boarded a 40-passenger catamaran-style ship, with fairly roomy cabins with large windows and ensuite bath and shower—like having a moving motel room. It will be nice not to have to pack and unpack for a week.

    There are more Americans in this group of travelers than any of the other tours we’ve been on in Australia. There are nine certified divers (including us!) and another half dozen who will be getting dive instruction here on the ship. Everyone we’ve met so far has been friendly, and we’ve already made friends with some Kiwis. We sailed off for the evening under a spectacular sunset!
    Read more