Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Downtown Knoxville

    April 23, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    Downtown Knoxville is pretty awesome! I love how it is a metropolitan area with all the venues of a large city, but yet it is so accessible, making it feel more like a small hometown. It's the people there and the way they interact with the city mainly that gives it that smaller hometown vibe. Today there was an EV show, the Dogwood Crafts Festival, and lots of prom couples. Moriah and Eddie only live about 10 minutes away from Downtown, so we got there quickly and parked for free in the parking garage.

    Knoxville was home to one of the last World's Fairs in 1982. They built the Sunsphere and an outdoor theater just for the event. We paid $5 to go up inside the Sunsphere. It's a 76 ft diameter gold ball that is 26 stories high, where we walked around, had a 360 degree view of the city, read about the city, the history of the sphere and the World Fair.

    From there we visited the Knoxville Museum of Art that features Tennessee artists, Asian artists and Women artists.

    After that, we were feeling quite hungry, so we headed to Market Street where we saw mass hula hooping and street musicians and ate lunch at Stock and Barrel. Delicious hamburgers there.

    We then walked up Gay Street across the railroad tracks to the winery, but they were having a private event today so were closed. We headed back down Gay St to Blackhorse Brewery for a drink. And then found ourselves back at the park at Market Street where we took some photos before heading back home. After all that walking in the hot sun, full bellies and drinks, we came home and took a nap.

    Knoxville is beautiful!
    Read more