Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Makers Mark Distillery

    April 27, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 59 °F

    Today we hit the bourbon trail. I specifically chose the distilleries we went to because they are some of the most well known, but also because of reviews. Many people said Makers Mark was their favorite, the most beautiful and interesting. We went there first, so we spoiled ourselves.

    When we arrived 20 min before the 1pm tour, there were 2 spots available on the tour. We jumped in on that tour of the distillery. We saw the whole process from grinding to cooking, fermenting, proofing, barreling, tasting, labeling and putting the wax seal on. They have their own spring fed lake on their 1000 acres that they use for cooking their grains. Whisky is spelled without an e intentionally because of Margie the founder's Scottish background. They use an old school printing press to make all their bottle labels. About 20-25% of the alcohol placed in the barrels evaporates through the barrels during the 5-7 years of aging. The Fungus in the air from the vapors causes the buildings and trees to turn black. This is why their buildings are black... to hide the ugly Fungus.

    We got to taste 5 types of their bourbon, buy a bottle and then dip the lid in the wax ourselves. I bought my bourbon trail passport and got my first stamp. We walked out with a bottle of freshly waxed 46, a bottle of mint julip and some mint bourbon chocolate balls. On the road to the next distillery.
    Read more