Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Center Point USA

    September 6, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    Tonight we landed in Quinter, Kansas, two hours south of the center of the continental United States. After driving for several hours without air conditioning with the western sun blasting on us through the front window, we were hot and exhausted. Doug drove the last two hours with the sun visor in the front window to block the sun. I made the ice pack and he put it on top of his head. We had the camper AC in the back running and a fan, so that helped some, but it only served to completely drain the lithium battery.

    Arriving in Quinter, we stopped at Sinclair to fill up the gas tank. They had their signature green dinosaur out front with a saddle on it, so at Doug's insistance, I climbed up there for a photo shoot.

    We checked in at the Center Point Brewery and had some beers and burgers. Steve, one of the owners, served us a flight of beer so we could test them all. The $7 burger was great and we were just so happy to be in air conditioning.

    The air conditioner did go out today on the main van. Literally, it was blowing hot air. It was 100 degrees outside. Windows down and flies swarming around us, we drove into town in a pool of sweat. To say we were hot, irritated and exhausted would be an understatement. Needless to say, we're staying at a hotel tonight.
    Read more