Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    'Ella of a train trip

    March 1, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The Kandy to Ella train is famously regarded as one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world, so we thought we would give it a whirl. Everyone was right!

    The platform was packed with scruffy tourists and a thousand backpacks. As the time approached the atmosphere became febrile.. like the minutes before Harrods opens its doors for the sale.

    Sensibly we had booked our reserved seats weeks previously so all was easy going for us - not so for those without a reservation, many stood for the entire 7 hours, crushed together and with no view. Pretty much like the Northern line.

    Heartlessly, we enjoyed every minute!. Time spent on reconnaissance (or internet research) is seldom wasted - so said Napoleon!

    The train was quaint and each station on the way was more adorable than the last and the scenery...!
    Nevertheless we were glad to disembark at Ella. We walked to the nearby waterfall intending a swim, but changed our mind when we saw all the farm waste going into it.

    Dinner and bed, to the sound of the waterfall - just like air con!
    Read more