Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Drive from Chicago IL to Grand Haven MI

    January 31, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    This morning we had breakfast at the hotel - a bagel (a mixture of of Pretzel und bread) which was yummy and some yoghurt.
    We then packed all our things and drove the 3 hrs home to Shirley and Dick's house in Grand Haven in Michigan. We arrived at 3pm.
    On the way we stopped at a rest area and I got a taco at Taco Bell which was tiny but nice.
    A great thing in the US is that all food places give you drinking water free if you ask for a cup.
    Also if you order soft drinks like coke and fanta, you get a cup and you only need to pay once and you get unlimited free refills 😱.
    In the afternoon we went to a department store called "Meijers" which is like a "Globus" in Germany. Although here it only has outlets in the midwest of the US.
    A strange thing to get used to is that you don't pay the price you see at the item you want to buybut that the tax is added at the checkout which makes it confusing.
    And everything comes in bigger sizes - 1kg coffee, 4l (1gallon) milk cartons etc.
    We had dinner and watched an episode of Aerial America which is a show showcasing the sights of each state which i liked very much. The episode was of the history and sights of Dallas -Fort Worth where we will go later.
    Read more