Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 5 Biblelands tour

    September 18, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    Belvoir.. Another crusader fortress built in 1168AD
    En Harod (still a bubbling spring) from where Gideon went to spy on the Midianites on Mt Moreh (Judges 7) and where God told Gideon to cull the army from 32000 men to only those 300 that lapped the water from their hands
    Mt Gilboa where Saul and Jonathan died.. we read David's lament for his friend Jonathan and saw the barren areas on the Gilboa range..a stark reminder of David's curse on the area that nothing would grow because of what happened
    Lunch at a kibbutz at Tel Megiddo.. an archaeological site where 25 different layers of rebuilding have been uncovered, dating back to 5000 BCE. Of interest was a temple built by Solomon and the stables for his horses, and a tunnel to allow water collection from a well without going outside the city walls, probably built by Ahab.(197 steps down underground!) Great views across the Jezreel Valley of Mr Tabor . To the right Mt Moreh . To the left Nazareth.
    Mt Precipice overlooking Nazareth(now a predominantly Arab City) the area our Lord grew up in, imagining him recalling all the events of the Old Testament. Hard to believe so much happened in this small area. We read in Luke 4v29 where the people wanted to throw Jesus off a cliff.. possibly here.
    Another goosebump moment when we sang a hymn... "We saw thee not when thou didst come to this dark world of sin and death, Nor e'er beheld thy cottage home in that despised Nazareth. But we believe thy footsteps trod it's streets and hills thou son of God"
    Read more