Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Prison turned Centre for Photography

    September 18, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Today’s serendipity moment in Porto was discovered when we were heading back to our Airbnb and happened upon the Centro Português de Fotografia. http://cpf.pt/
    A free museum housed in the historic courts of justice and prison, a large three story building close to where we are staying. Housing a camera museum on the upper floors, and photos throughout, we were overwhelmed by the galleries of black and white photos by renowned photographer Rune Eraker.
    “Tell The World About Us” is photo exhibition about lost liberty and human dignity in various places around the world, including Colombia (2001), El Salvador (2015), Nicaragua (2005), Haiti (2000), Rwanda (1996), Syria (2018), Honduras (2009) and others. Norway’s solitary confinement, the United States’ practice of death row, and the double standard applied to Edward Snowden were also featured.
    The irony of this exhibit taking place within the confines of a former prison, set within 2 metre thick walls and iron gates, did not go unnoticed.
    When viewing the camera collection, I was reminded of the many cameras I’ve owned over the years, from my first, a Polaroid Swinger, to numerous Pentax 35mm cameras, a few Canon digital cameras to the latest smartphones. The Zeiss display was noteworthy.
    Read more