Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    We're off!

    July 11, 2015 in England ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    So Saturday was spent doing the packing. Went into town to buy another bag as felt we were short. Turned out a good move as we pretty much half filled it and the other 6 big bags, together with our smaller cabin bags, 11 in total. Travelling light (ha!), hoping it all fits in the car when we get to New Zealand.

    I spent about an hour on the phone to the Post Office after receiving a letter saying they had blocked my card for suspect activity. When I finally got through to them, there was a fraudulent transaction. From the way the guy was talking and the volume of calls they were getting I suspect the issue was at their end with their systems hacked. Card was cancelled and new one put in the post. Not so good when we leave that evening and this was the card I was intending to use as its overseas charges are better. Sam's version of the card was OK, but she didn't know her pin! New one to be sent and her mum and dad can let us know what it is when it arrives.

    The Emirates chauffeur car arrived a couple of minutes late - we already knew the traffic was bad from Sam's parents and it did take a while for us to get over Hammersmith Bridge, but got to the airport at about 8. Check in was smooth and we could use the BA lounge as the Emirates one at Heathrow was closed for refurbs.

    We ate in the lounge then boarded the plane and after take off got given mattresses to make the seats more comfy then tried for some sleep. We all slept a bit and were woken about 5 hours later for a light breakfast before landing in Dubai.
    Read more