Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Victoria Peak and Star Ferry

    July 14, 2015 in Hong Kong ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We set the alarm for 8am not thinking that we would need it, but it most definitely was. After snoozing it several times we got up at about 9,15, with the kids fast asleep until Sam woke then up then. Good job we weren't seeing the pandas today!

    After breakfast again in the lounge we headed off for the MTR station at Mong Kok a couple of streets away. After setting off in the wrong direction then returning to the hotel for Calpol for Tash's headache we got to the tube. The ticket machine was quite easy to use, total cost $28 for the four of us (about £2.50).

    Train came quickly and after 4 stops we got off at Admiralty, went through a shopping centre and followed signs through Hong Kong park to the Peak Tram. The park was very nice with lots of fountains.

    The tram had a bit of a queue for tickets, $80 return for adults including entry to the top floor Sky Terrace. The journey up took about 5 minutes and was very steep, certainly would not want to walk up.

    At the top was essentially a 5 or 6 floor mini shopping centre with various small shops and restaurants. We headed straight for the top floor terrace and got an audio guide with facts about many of the landmarks you could see. It was sunny and quite hot up there, so after plenty of photos we headed down for a drink. Burger King beckoned (though we had some difficulty actually finding the entrance door), Sam and I just drinks, kids their standard chicken burger and nuggets.

    We explored more of the shops and bought a few souvenirs (including a handbag for Miranda, jade elephant and key rings with kids names in Chinese) then went across the square outside to the Galleria shopping centre. This was much quieter and had a free viewing terrace on the roof with views just as good as the one we paid for, More photos and a Haagen Dasz followed, then back down the tram (after chatting with a family from Birmingham about taking kids out of school).

    We took a taxi to the Star Ferry terminal with a chatty taxi driver (with basic English) who berated us for trying to check he would take us before getting in as the meter was already running and we were wasting money. He was keen on saying "don't spare the horses" then chatted to Ed about Wrestle mania - "The Undertaker, put him in the coffin"! He'd heard of Essex but never been to London - not yet as he said!

    Star Ferry tokens were also cheap $6.80 for all of us, about 60p. The ride was about 10 minutes across the busy harbour, with some waves splashing up at times to Ed's amusement. From the terminal we got a cab back to the hotel and ate tea in the lounge - some great spicy pork and Tiramisu. Then we had another swim and hot tub before bed, hoping for an easier wake up tomorrow.
    Read more