Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Lost Bag!

    July 16, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    Again this flight was largely uneventful and we got through immigration quickly and our bags came off first apart from Natasha's. We waited for about 25 minutes until all bags had come round and still no sign. When we went to the baggage counter they had been notified that it hadn't made it onto the flight, but had been too busy to inform us apparently! Hopefully it will turn up tomorrow. Tash was given a wash bag and $78 to buy some stuff with.

    We had already declared to customs on the form that we had food and hiking boots. Whilst waiting for Tash's bag the sniffer dog got very excited about our boots bag, and had sniffed dried grass in the bottom of it. His handler marked it up as needing attention

    After sorting out the lost bag we queued for the 'things to declare' line. The customs guys washed the shoes and bag and then we had the rest x rayed (like everyone else) and all was fine. Was amusing to see what was coming out of some people's bags =- all sorts of foodstuff, cakes meat etc, some of which was given the green light to go through, some confiscated. All part of NZ's desire to keeep its agriculture free of external pests and diseases.

    We got the shuttle bus to Apex car hire and picked up our Subaru Forrester - we got some snow chains too and a free sat nav thrown in. We then drove the 5 minutes to the b and b St James Bed and Breakfast), which was a very nice place and we got a warm welcome. Maggie, the owner, suggested a nearby tavern to eat in, but the kids had spotted McD's near the airport and were keen for something quick so we went there.

    Then we went back to the b and b and dropped off to sleep - for a bit. All of us were awake at different points through the night. Tash was perplexing her friend Benny who wondered why she was on Instagram at 3am our time after he had googled what time it was with us!
    Read more