Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    No Milford Sound, but Jet Boats and Skis

    July 23, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    As instructed, called Southern Alps Air at 8am, who said din't look good for flight to Milford, but call again for final decision at 9. Weather was great in Wanaka, 10 degrees and no frost overnight. But wet and cloudy at Milford and 9am saw the trip called off and rolled over to tomorrow.

    So we set off to the visitor centre to see if we could move the jet boat to earlier this morning and book the beginners ski package at Treble Cone for the kids for the afternoon. We had a coffee while the lady sorted us out. Jet boat rebooked fo 10.20 today and skiing booked to start at 1.20. We used the spare time to hire some warmer waterproof trousers, coats and gloves in town and then just made it to the jet boat before 10.30. Turned out we were the only passengers apart from a guy from the company's office who had never doen it and so tagged along. Steve our driver took us and the boat over to the launch site on the Clutha River (which starts at Lake Wanaka). We got out life vests on and hopped in the boat. Ed, Tash and I in front with Steve, Sam and mystery guest in second row, third row empty.

    The trip was excellent, a fast start then a slower part towards the lake with great views of the mountains (including Treble Come where we were heading later). This section had a speed limit as it is popular with swimmers etc in the summer. We didn't go on the lake as it was quite choppy, but instead went further down the river.

    We went back up river weaving in and out of trees and rapids, with Ed and Tash grinning massively. The first Hamilton turn (named after the inventor of jet boats, a kiwi in the sixties) threw up a shower of spray to everyone's delight. We slowed again to look at old gold mining sites on the river banks where the water had been used in hoses to wash the bank away into sluices. Several thousand people had worked on each section at its peak. More turns and spins (the jet boat pushes out a bath full of water through its jet tube every second) and we headed back tot he start at full speed with maximum spins, twists turns and splashes. We'd been in the boat just over an hour but it didn't seem like it. Minibu back to the office and some quick directions to Treble Cone and we picked up the car and were off.

    Took about 35 minutes to get there, the last 15 minutes being up an unsealed (basically compacted earth) road up the mountainside, steep, twisty and turning. Ed started talking about the final scene of the Italian Job and was told to keep quiet. We made it up, parked and got our lift passes then kids were fitted out with boots, skis and helmets and met there instructor Connie. Sam and I watched for a bit then went to get some food, sitting on the terrace watching the area where the kids were learning. They started sliding on one ski, then progressed to two down a shallow couple of metre slope, then used the conveyor lift to slide down a 10 metre or so slope. Soon Tash was turing around cones (neither had poles - easier to learn without apparently). Ed found it a bit tougher as he (as ever) wants to be an instant expert, but he improved also and they moved on to the button lift up the big slope. Ed sat out for a bit until he had seen that Tash was having a great time then was keen to get back involved. He enjoyed this 'proper' skiing bit more than the initial training bits. Tash was brilliant and really enjoyed it. Ed did too by the end. We had tickets to go up the chair lift but didn't have much time and the kids wanted to keep going around the conveyor lift for a bit, so we skipped it. Grabbed a couple of hot chocolates then back down the death road!

    Safely back and Tash and I dropped the hire clothes back and picked up some pasta to cook in the chalet as we didn't fancy eating out tonight Another good day and maybe Milford tomorrow.
    Read more