Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Lots of Lakes

    July 22, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    We were up fairly early and away by about 9.15. It was a frosty morning and we used a spatula to scrape the ice off the windows. Our first stop was only 20km away at Lake Matheson near Fox Glacier. It still took half an hour to drive it as it was winding mountain roads up and down.

    The lake is famous for its reflecting views of Mounts Tasman and Cook, the two highest mountains in New Zealand. Sam and I had been years ago, but it had been upgraded since then with better car park and a cafe and gallery shop now on site - nothing there before.

    We set off to walk to the first and second viewpoints which appeared to be 20 minutes to the first then another 5 minutes or so to the second. We got to the first Jetty View Point after about 15 minutes and took some pictures though there was a slight breeze rippling the surface and disrupting the perfect reflection. We then went on to the second View of Views point, which turned out to be another 16 minutes or so further on - turns out the timings at the start depended on which way round the lake you went and they weren't actually close together. Ed and I took a picture here then headed back with Sam and Tash. The extra walk turned out to be a good thing as when we got back to the Jetty viewpoint the wind had dropped and the reflections were postcard perfect - spectacular.

    Then back to the cafe for bagel and monster egg, bacon and sausage buns - hoovered up by Sam and Ed. We headed off a little later than planned at about 11.45. 10 minutes up the road were were held at a stop sign as a one lane bridge was blocked by men on a hoist painting it. We waited about 15 minutes until more traffic had built up and the men felt it worthwhile stopping and allowing traffic through.

    Next stop was at a viewpoint over the ocean just before Haast -some cliff formations a little like the Needles and a toilet block too. Off again and past Haast another hold up as men were repairing the road, only a bit over 5 minutes this time.

    We carried on and missed Roaring Billy where we had intended to stop for a hort walk to the waterfall and instead stopped at Thunder Creek waterfall, which pleased Ed as you could climb down onto the rocks at the riverside. Waterfall was impressive.

    Continuing on we skipped the Blue Pools as the walk would take too long and kept going until stopping at a lake about 20 miles before Wanaka. There were some toilets and again we walked on the shore line where Ed messed around with driftwood and rosck. Lots of smoke was coming from the other shore creating an odd cloud formation over the lake.

    We pressed on to Wanaka, passing Puzzling World (a visit for another day) and found the motel, then headed into town. Tash bought a jumper and Ed a mug then we went into the iSite just before it closed. We booked a JetBoat ride for Friday morning then discussed skiing for Tash and Ed. They have a good intro 2 hour package for $99. They weren't sure so the lady said we could come back tomorrow and book and we could move the Jet Boat earlier if we wanted to do the skiing.

    Then food in Speights Alehouse and home as earlyish start tomorrow as flight moved from 11am to 9am o ensure we beat the weather.
    Read more