Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Queenstown

    July 31, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    Had a good breakfast of pancakes this morning in the Cat's Whiskers and chatted with the owners for quite a while, joking that we might be back again in another 13 years time (though actually they had bought the place about 15 months after we last stayed).

    We got away about 10.30 with a two hour drive to Queenstown. Had forgotten to fill up with petrol the night before, but felt sure we could do it in Mossburn about 55km away and with about a sixth of a tank should be fine. Unfortunately when we got there it only had diesel and 91 rated petrol, we needed 95, so pressed on. None of the next towns had petrol stations, but thought that the town of Kingston about 45 minutes from Queenstown should have as it was a bit of a bigger town. ABout 15 km beofee Kingston the fuel warning light came on, so we really needed Kingston to deliver. It ws smaller than I had thought but did have a self service garage with 95 and so we filled up.

    We had a drink in the cafe there then pressed on. We stopped a couple of times along the lake to take some pictures and hut Queenstown about 1.30, going straight to our motel to park up and check in - a little early but the friendly owner showed us in and gave us some tips on things to do.

    Tash wanted to go skiing again so we pursued that in town as a priority. The i-site could only book Cardona (nearer Wanaka) and suggested we visit the NZSki office to book Coronet or the Remarkables. Whilst in the iSite we booked the Shotover Jet and went across to their office to be picked up in about 10 minutes and bussed to the site.

    The bus driver was a chap called Panda (nickname I assume) and he drove us the less than 10 minute trip to the boat loading site on the Shotover River, showing a safety video on the way.

    We got spray jackets and life jackets on and put on the neck/face scarves we had been given to guard against the wind. Into the boat (with gloves and hats on, though the handrails were well heated) and off we went, a couple of spins near the jetty to allow photos to be taken, then we were off. Upriver first scarily close to rocks and trees and at up to 85 km per hour, the wind was buffeting and the scarves to cover faces were needed.

    Some spins then back downstream through the narrow canyon, very close to the walls. Further spins and back up and then down streams again and after 25 minutes or so the ride was over.

    We bought the photo pack including DVD of the on board camera then caught the bus back to town and headed to NZ Ski to sort Tash out.

    Tash was keen on a private kesson so we went for a 3 hour one at Coronet Peak (closer to get to) with hire of equipment. Ed and Sam decided they would go to watch the minion film whilst we were up the mountain. Lunch/dinner at Lone Star with a crazu waiter named Cecil, who called us London and talked about Chis Robshaw and Jonny Wilkinson.

    Then to the hire shop to collect Tash's gear ready for the morning.
    Read more