Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Horse Riding

    August 6, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    We checked out of the Tekapo motel just after 9. Wjilst adequate we felt this was the worst place we had stayed in to date (odd layout, not enough towels in the room etc).

    We went to look at the Church of the Good Shepherd on the shore of Lake Tekapo. It didn't open until 10 so we couldn't go in, but we took some pictures and Ed did a bit of clambering on the rocks on the lake shore. We also had a look at the dog statute, a monument to all sheep dogs and their contribution to NZ.

    Then it was off to Geraldine where we had a 12 o clock appointment with the Peel Forest Trekking Centre to do an hour's walk on horses. Tash had been led on a horse for an hour once when we were in Devon and Ed had been on a pony, Sam and I never been on one (nearest for me was donkeys on Skegness beach)

    We stopped for a coffee about half hour from Geraldine at the Brewery Cafe, which was indeed attached to a brewery. We bought a bottle of their Ginja Beer (non alcoholic), as yet untasted.

    Peel Forest was about 15km outside Geraldine and we arrived just before 12 and saw 5 horses saddled up across the paddock waiting for us. We met Toby our guide for the walk (son of he owners) and got out helmets. Toby gave us a quick demo on how to hold the rains, where to have feet in stirrups and how to control the horse by pulling on the reigns, then we got on. Me first on Ziggy and I was told to walk around the paddock in a big loop to get the hang of controlling the horse. Making him go involved digging in your feet and legs it transpired, otherwise steering was via shortening the reign on the side you wanted to go and giving a pull. Pulling both was stop (but not too much or it was backwards!). Ed got on next (Bobby), but got very scared trying to control the horse (don't forget he can't even ride a bike yet!), so Toby said he would lead him on a rope which made him feel much better. Sam got on (Tommy) and did the same as me looped around, then Tash (Spirit), who started to wail a bit and claim she didn't like it. A bit more instructions from Toby (on Moggy) and his dad Bob then we were off. The first part oft he walk was down a hill. Bit of a baptism of fire, you had to lean back and push forward on the stirrups to keep your balance. Tash continued to wail but we pressed on and once on the flat she calmed down and then started to enjoy it. The horses largely knew where they were going and followed the one in front, but they needed some control so they didn't run you into tree branches or when they stopped to eat grass or drink water! The route was a good one, across some streams and gorse land as well as forest and lasted longer than the hour, probably about 80 minutes on the horses.

    On the way round the horses met one of their brothers (Mac) who tagged along with us for a bit - they all seemed pleased to see each other. Just before going back up the hill Toby had to close the gate. Ed was left on his own and Bobby decided to start off up the hill, which scared Ed but he managed to stop Bobby and all was well again. Up the hill caused Tash and Sam's horses to break into a trot, but they hung on!. Ziggy kept stopping and looking round at me - think I was hard work to carry up! Ed declared horse riding the best thing he had done in NZ so far!

    We then posed fro some pictures on our horses and helped give them a bit of food an hang up the saddles and reigns and said our goodbyes and were off again. Back into Geraldine for lunch at the bakery, bought some famous jam from Barkers of Geraldine and some clothes for the kids for a NZ made clothes shop then headed to Christchurch, about 1.5 hours away.

    We arrived back a St James B and B almost exactly 2 weeks after we had last arrived around 5pm. Margaret the owner was out but had left us the key and we showed ourselves in, had a drink and then headed to the Harewood Tavern for tea. It was surprisingly busy and the food took a while to come but was decent when it did.

    Margaret was back when we got back and we chatted a bit about our travels, set breakfast for 8.30 and went for our last night in a solid bed for a couple of weeks - campervan tomorrow.
    Read more