Satellite
Show on map
  • Leaving home

    July 26, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    So the day we leave arrives. All final packing and triple checking of passports in bag was done and we waited for the car to arrive. Scheduled for 3pm, it hadn't arrived by then - a quick call reassured us it was on the way and we were off about 10 minutes later. Traffic was ok and we got to terminal 5 about 3.45. Check in was very smooth with a very chatty lady and security fast track had no queues. As expected, Sam set off the security alarm, despite having nothing metallic on her. Her shoes were scanned separately and were fine so the only thing we can think of next time is her glasses to take off.

    Found the lounge and after some minor irritation from Ed that there was no hot food he had some soup which was very tasty. We left for the gate in plenty of time to avoid any incidents like at Gatwick last time when we went to Lanzarote. No such issues this time and we all got seated row 3. Hearts sank a little when a mum got on to the row in front with three small children. They proved to be a handful and the stewardesses had to have stern words to keep them all seated at take off. Proved to be a bit of a pain during flight too, good job Sam was not trying to sleep as they used her footstool as a climbing frame!

    Talking of sleep, we were trying not to so as to be tired when we arrived, everyone else managed fine apart from me - I barely got through the Lego Batman movie before I dropped off.

    On arrival took a few minutes to attach the jet way, when we got off greeted by various pensioners in red jackets and cowboy hats seeing if they could help. Don't get that at Heathrow. Immigration was quick as we were first in line, nice chap asked us what we were up to and let us through to baggage reclaim. All came through OK, our new colourful tags helping us spot the generic black cases. We were staying at the Marriott in the airport terminal for convenience and it was very - just a couple of minutes walk away. We upgraded to a small suite so kids had a separate room and didn't have to share a bed. Ate in the restaurant in the hotel. I had some good corn chowder. Ed not hungry for possibly the first time ever so he just had some of the others chips. Then off to bed. Car pick up in the morning.
    Read more