Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Rafting again

    August 9, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    At the Adventure Group for 8.30 for rafting at 9. Actually had to go across road to Wedge Rafting office. Usual waivers signed. Waited around until just before 9 for guides to come out. Two elderly ladies in their 60s made us laugh, didn't look to kids like they would be best paddlers!

    We had somehow lost our swimming costumes, last seen in Lake Louise but hotel there hadn't found them. Think must have left them in Revelstoke hotel. Except for Tash's which was in boot of car - think because she was slow getting changed in Lake Louise and so hers never made it into same bag as the rest. This was only discovered last night so no time to buy more. I had packed second pair, Ed and Sam hadn't. They were worried so I gave Ed mine and wore some shorts. Sam just wore underwear, which as it turned out was fine.

    Went through the usual kit acquisition, wetsuit, life jacket, helmet. Elderlies made us laugh as one's name wasn't read out and she wanted to know why, despite fact lead bookers name for everyone else had been read out rather than all names. We hoped not to get in their boat!

    We changed into wetsuits then headed to bus. About 5 minutes or so to the rafting location at Green Lake. Did intros on bus, name, where from and favourite breakfast cereal! Bacon sandwich for me, porridge Ed, pancakes Tash toast for Sam.

    We were first raft allocated to Uri from Slovenia as our guide. Us four plus a girl from Quebec City called Michelle. Got similar safety briefing as last time from Uri who was lot of fun, stereotypical mental Eastern European but infectiously enthusiastic.

    Start of paddle was straight row across Green Lake. It was tough as headwind, at times we were paddling and going nowhere. Uri said was toughest headwind he had encountered, which may have just been to make us feel better. Eventually got across the lake celebrated by a high five of paddles and a series of monkey noises from us all. Uri's signature move I think, didn't hear any other boat doing it!

    Then we hit the rapids, they were a little tamer I thought than the Canmore ones and it was shorter, only hour and a bit on water, but the rapids were all in a row rather than more spread out before. It was good fun and Uri was good at turning the boat into the rapids for maximum wetness. He steered us into rocks saying 'Oh no I didn't see that' and 'oh no we're going to crash' in a tongue in cheek fashion! . Ed liked it as he had paddle and was right on the edge this time rather than in the middle, though he didn't enjoy the paddle across the lake. Both he and I struggled with the get down pose, couldn't get back up again, in the end I just went for leaning in as the rapids weren't that severe. We did a bit of splashing of other boats, with high paddle fives and monkey noises afterwards. We definitely won the wars.

    Am pleased we did other rapids first as if we had done these ones not sure we would have tried a second time, the initial row over the lake and the shorter rapids meant the other one was better.

    We landed and disembarked and I was co-opted to carry raft to trailer. Best way was lifting up onto your head apparently. A guide and me and another rower had one raft. Have to say it was a struggle to get it over my head and it was heavier than I expected once up there. Had to carry it uphill too, so this almost finished me off by the end, was tougher than the initial row over the lake!

    Back on the bus got the same lines as before about saving the water from your boots to send to US for them to send back as Budweiser and thanks for coming otherwise we'd need to get real jobs.

    Got changed back again and popped back to room to change wet clothes. Then went out intending to go on gondola, but wondered if we could change the tickets to tomorrow hoping the smoke would have cleared a bit more, it's cleared a bit each day so far. We could and changed to tomorrow then called the jet boat to see if we could go earlier. Not possible as all booked, so tomorrow will be tight but doable. Then had lunch, Tash and I large plate of tasty nachos. Then did some shopping including new swimming costumes for Ed and Sam. Then went back to hotel and kids and I went down to the pool and hot tubs. I just went in hot tubs, very nice on aching limbs from rowing. Kids were reluctant to go in pool initially as lots of kids were in there but as they moved to other end and hot tubs they went in. And then stayed in for a couple of hours. I rested on sun lounger and periodically popped into hot tub.

    About 7 we went back to room to work out what to eat. Decided to order Domino's to go and collect. Tash and I went out to get it and very tasty was too, ham and olive no cheese for Ed and Sam, with cheese for Tash and pepperoni and pineapple for me. Went to bed tired but another good day.
    Read more