Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Ferry and Ucluelet

    August 11, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Up early, queuing for breakfast to open at 7. Some Aussies queuing too, they didn't have reservations for a ferry so were bit concerned they wouldn't get on. We were fine with guaranteed slot as long as we arrived in time. . On road about 7.20, unevemtful journey down, took about 1 hour 20 or so. Got there about 8.45. Traffic marshall gave us a yellow card for reasons never clear and we went through to the pay kiosks. Man processed our reservation and gave us a lane to wait in. Also asked if we had a yellow card. Never had to do anything with this again. Weird!

    Got out of car and walked to waterfront of Horsehoe Bay village. Used loos, saw massive seagull sitting on fence. Then back to car for 9.25 as advised by one of staff members. Waited 10 minutes or so to board Lady of Cowichan, very similar to an Isle of Wight ferry. Went up to deck and joined queue for breakfasts. These were good. I had a ham and egg muffin with potatoes. Others had various cooked breakfasts. Coffee was good too. Went up to outdoor decks to have a look and take some pictures, then to shop. Sam got book, Ed got lego car. We sat at table no he could build the car, then we went back upstairs as journey nearly ended. Took pics of Nanaimothen back to cars.

    Set sat nav for goats on roof shop and cafe. When we got there it was very busy and paring looked tricky, people all along roadside. We saw a couple of goats on the grass roof so decided to carry on. Some navigation confusion here but eventually got on way to Cathedral Grove with old cedar trees in it. This too was busy but got parked on roadside just past. Used loos then walked the trail through the forest. Short loop, 10 minutes or so, though we were about half hour as we stopped to take pics and look at things. Some of trees were up to 500+ years old. Very tall and very wide. One was hollow trunked but still massive, could walk in hollow. Reminded me a bit of tree in Sherwood Forest.

    Tash got bit worked up about insects (again!) and we headed off. No more stops planned, but about an hour later we drove past a river where there were lots of rocks and people on them. Ed wanted to stop and climb so we did. Tash was asleep so Sam stayed with her in the car.

    Ed and I had great time climbing all over rocks. Right down to river level. Quiet flow currently but level would be 3 or 4 metres higher at times it looked. Ed built a little dam across part of channel and paddled in water with shoes and socks off. We watched a lad jump from the top of the rocks into a deep pool below. Felt sure he was going to land on rocks but he didn't, though it was colder than he expected. Back to car and carried on. Tash still asleep. When she woke Ed joked she had been asleep for 4 days and we were now on way to Vancouver.

    Got to Ucluelet and found hotel. Checked in, room very nice. Hotel restaurant could not fit us in until 8.15 but we took it. Man in gift shop gave us lots of advice on beaches and places to go see. Seems we could have spent ,a lot longer in this area (Though true of many others too). Room was great, Ed likened it to the treehouse we had stayed in. He had sofa bed in lounge. Big panoramic windows overlooking a beach with rocks and the calm Pacific coming in. We saw a bride and groom having picture taken on the rocks. Ed and I went down to explore and did some climbing in rocks. Saw lots of crabs and anemonies in rock pools. Lots of drift wood too, all bark peeled off and smooth.

    Dinner was erratic. No one seated us or even acknowledged us for a while, but waiter we had was very helpful. Food was good and wine also. So a nice meal. Even Sam had a dessert a vegan chocolate cake. Comfy beds again.
    Read more