Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Ottawa Amphibus then Montreal

    August 1, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    got packed and out about 930 and went across to the MArket again to haev breakfast. Cafe doing bagels, with Ed having pesto pasta salad! Got my magnet in small shop in market, then we headed towards parliament to take a look and find a bus tour to show us the main sites. Crossed the Rideau canal whch had an impressive series of 5 or 6 locks leading down to the Ottwaw river.

    Opted for the Amphibus, essentially like the London Duck tour, lasting about an hour. Left in 40 minutes or so so we had chance to wander around parliament hill and take some pictires. Three main buildings, centre one had big clock that chimed 11 then played the Canadain national anthem, then carried on for more tunes!

    Back to bus stop and got on, Was covered over, kids thought it was maybe going underwater! Commentary was live but done in English then French which made it a bit stilted compared to one language and but rushed as everythng needed to be pointed out twice very quickly.

    Saw lots of Governement buildings, Bank oif Vanada, Research cntre, cours of justice. Crossed bridge into Quebec, place called Gatineau and entered water. Smooth transition and we saw back of Natural History museum that was designed with all curves and no right angles as monsteres hide in right anglkes according to ancient native beliefs. Did a loop on Ottawa river.

    Saw many Embassies and High Commissions (220 or so in Ottawa in total), HC is rmbassy of commonwealth country. Got off an had lunch in McD then kids both wanted to go back shopping so spent another couple of hours in the centre before picking up car and heading 2 hours to Montreal. Left about 4 and arrived about 6pm.

    Found hotel quite easily, though lots of roiadwaorks being done around Montreal. Checked in - valet parked and left luggage with concierge to bring up. Concierge recommended and booked an Italian caled Quattro about 10 minutes away for us and we headed there.

    Was quite nice though not excellent, but busy as old town was due to Italian entry in the firewrok competiition going off at 10pm, We decided to miss it as were tireed and had seen fireworks in Niagara, so back to hotel. Took some pics of Notre Dame cathedral lit uo at night on way back.
    Read more