Satellite
  • Day 58

    Valdivia!

    May 18, 2015 in Chile ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    We had a great time during our 3 days in Valdivia. Despite heading 4 hours north we still hadn't managed to escape the rain yet, however as soon as we checked into our hostel we were stoked.. it just had a great feeling about it. A cosy semi outdoor kitchen and the cutest pet duck and cat we'd seen all trip. Best of all we also managed to convince our friends Stephen, Lorena and Raphael that this was the "place to be" so they bussed in from their respective towns to meet up. Julia and Hendrick ("team sunshine") followed suit so we ended up with a great group.

    Sat night was fun with Trav and I hitting the town to listen to some live music and drink some girly but delicious pina coladas. Sunday day we donned all our wet weather gear and were ready to brave the rain, when lucky for us we ended up meeting Oli and Nathan, 2 funny English guys, who happened to have a car so we tagged along to the cervecerias (breweries!) with them instead. Fun afternoon listening to their travel stories about cooking steaks in the car and smuggling machetes across the border (long story!).
    Sunday night the crew arrived so beers and catch ups all round.
    Monday we hit the fish markets where we witnessed probably the most obese sea lions I've ever seen loiter around the fishermen eating fish scraps. Was quite a sight! More beers at the cerveceria and sampling the local dish "crudos" (raw minced beef!) then off to the night bus that evening for our overnight bus to Valparaiso... Cama seats yeah! :-)
    Read more