Satellite
  • Day 73

    Cerro Negro - Volcano Boarding!

    June 2, 2015 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Amazing breakfast this morning for only $3! Lindsay is running late - she is locked in her hostel and the night guard had to remove the glass louvres so she could crawl out the window hahahaha

    Its already stinking hot and humid as we set off in the tour guides cruiser to Cerro Negro. The drive is rather scenic as we head through the villages passing numerous horses and bulls carrying wagons of timber and other misc goods.

    We arrive at the black mountain which stands in contrast to its scenic surroundings. Our cool guide 'Chris' hands us our boards and bags with overalls, goggles and gloves and we start the descent.

    Its a rather steep ascent with numerous stops to rehydrate. Half way up were met with a beautiful panaramic view of the surroundings of the adjacent mountains.

    At the top its time to get down to business. We don on our full length demin overalls, cotton gloves and clear (but badly scratched) goggles and pose for numerous gangster style photos. We peer over the crest and cant even see the bottom due to the increase in slope. Its taken 60 minutes to get up and now 90 seconds to reach the bottom.

    The adrealine rush is insane! Its difficult to stay in a straight line as you put your feet out to balance. The slope of the volcano steepens and the speed of descent is thrilling. Rocks are smashing into your body and face from all directions. As you approach the bottom we lose balance and crash the board and roll sideways until the momentum stops. It takes a few moments to conprehend what has just happened.

    What an epic experience! Easy to see why its rated no. 2 in CNN's thrill seekers bucket list!
    Read more