Satellite
  • Day 82

    An early start to a beautiful day

    July 21, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Today was the only day while I was in Lake Louise that the weather forecast looked good, and I’d heard the only time to go to Moraine Lake is for the sunrise as it is super busy the rest of the day. They weren’t wrong. We arrived at around 5.15am and the parking lot was full by 5.30am!! It was so beautiful! My friend I’m staying with and a couple of her flat mates came along as well which was nice.

    Then I drove to Yoho National Park just past the border of Alberta in British Columbia and arrived at Emerald Lake. It was so pretty but it was so foggy still. So I decided to walk around the lake, and then ended up doing the 10.8km Emerald Lake Basin trail...wasn’t planned! It was a challenge, the ground was very rocky, slippery and muddy! But once at the top, it was worth it (it’s always worth it!) 😊 the fog cleared while I was up there and it turned into thee most gorgeous day! (I even ended up getting a bit sunburnt 🙁 (oops!) I saw a Marmot on my way down - it was huge!! And then took in the beautiful Emerald Lake in all its glory under the sun. And yes, the water is really that colour in the lakes!!

    On my way back to Lake Louise, I stopped off at Takakkaw Falls - the second tallest waterfall in Canada and it was impressive!
    Read more