Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 5 - Mayan Temples

    May 20, 2017, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    To start the day going down in the lift for breakfast Stephen had on his Rabbitohs training shirt. Some young men in the lift asked us where we were from and then said to Stephen are you a triathlete. Stephen of course now thinks he is.

    After breakfast we got ready to be picked up at 11.30am to go to an historical site of the Mayan World at Copa (Copha its former name)

    First port of call was zip lining over a lake. Yes me too. Then we got on bikes (not me I got on a tricycle with another lady from our group) and rode to the ancient ruins.
    The second largest Mayan Temple is in Coba and called "Nohoch Mul" and we were lucky enough to be able to climb the 120 or so stairs to the top.

    The view from the top was green as far as the eye could see as it is in the middle of a rainforest. We investigated several other ruins. Not as old as the works in Egypt but still very impressive.

    Fact - they chopped and burned a large portion of their lands to make these temples and houses as the made cement from Ash (from the burnt wood), limestone (naturally found all around this area) and water.

    We then went to Cenote which is a giant sink hole many feet under the ground. Very slippery going down the stairs to a very deep water hole to swim in. It was a lot of fun and Stephen jumped from the very top platform an made a very big splash.

    Dinner was a Mayan buffet and a performance of a Mayan ball game. In this game the players can only touch the ball with the body from the chest to the knee - no feet, hands or arms. Very hard game to play. In the ancient times the winner was killed and this was thought to be an honor but not in this day and age.

    Back to the hotel late a couple of drinks at the late night bar then off to bed.
    Read more